Palestinian minor charged in deadly West Bank shooting
Military prosecutors on Thursday filed an indictment against a Palestinian minor charged with the murder of yeshiva student Yehuda Dimentman last year.
According to the Shin Bet security agency, a cell belonging to the Palestinian Islamic Jihad terror group carried out the deadly attack in the northern West Bank in Decemberin which Dimentman was killed and two others were slightly injured.
The suspect – who cannot be named as he is a minor – has been charged with intentional homicide for driving the car used in the drive-by shooting near the illegal Homesh outpost.
According to the indictment filed with the Samaria Military Court, two Palestinians who allegedly fired themselves told the suspect they would “teach the settlers that if one of them is killed, they will not return in the colonies”.
The couple paid NIS 2,800 for a car that had been taken off the road because it was in poor condition. They drove there looking for a place to carry out the attack and chose the Homesh Junction, prosecutors said. They inspected the junction and noted where the IDF had placed roadblocks in the area. One evening they waited at the crossroads to carry out an attack but no Israeli vehicle passed.
During one of their patrols to carry out an attack, Muhammad Youssef Jaradat proposed that if they killed a settler, they would take the body and hide it at a place near the village of Burqa.
On the night of the attack, the suspect whistled Jaradat and another suspected terrorist who participated in the attack, then got into the car ready to drive away, the prosecution said.
The two shooters fired 20 rounds each at the car, fatally wounding Dimentman, according to the indictment.
A jam in one of the guns caused them both to stop firing and they escaped in the car allegedly driven by the accused minor. Along the way, they heard on the radio that they had killed Dimentman. The weapons were then hidden under the stairs of the accused minor’s home, with the intention of carrying out another attack, prosecutors charged.
However, all suspects were arrested by security forces before they could use the weapons again.
Prosecutors said they intended to file indictments against the two other suspects, who themselves allegedly carried out the shooting, as well as the minor’s mother – Ataaf Youssef Muhammad Jaradat – for failing to prevent the attack.
Prosecutors said the minor informed his mother of the attack plans and that she told him he was free to do whatever he wanted and she would not stop him.
The families of three suspects – Muhammad Youssef Jaradat, Mahmoud Ghaleb Jaradat and Ghaith Ahmed Yassin Jaradat – have been told by the military that their homes will be demolished.
As part of a punitive policy, Israel demolishes the homes of Palestinians accused of carrying out deadly terrorist attacks. Over the years, however, a number of Israeli defense officials have questioned the effectiveness of the practice, and human rights activists have denounced it as unfair collective punishment.
Of all the suspects, only two were said to have carried out the actual shooting, while the others were believed to have aided them or otherwise been involved in the cell.
Palestinian officials previously identified other detainees as Ibrahim Musa Tahaineh, Taher Abu Salah and Omar Ahmed Yassin Jaradat.
Dimentman was a student at a yeshiva near the scene of the attack. Homesh is a former settlement that was emptied as part of an eviction in 2005 – the so-called “disengagement” – but is now the site of the illegally operated religious school.
The 25-year-old was the father of a 9-month-old son and lived in the West Bank settlement of Shavei Shomron.